Beginning on July 1, newly amended City Code section 5-25 makes it unlawful for any person to tether a companion animal under certain circumstances.
The newly amended City Code section 5-25 entitled “Adequate space for animals; time restriction on tethering companion animals” which among other things makes it unlawful for any person to tether a companion animal:
1. When the outside temperature is equal to or less than thirty-two (32) degrees Fahrenheit;
2. In a manner as to cause injury, strangulation or entanglement of the dog on fences, trees, or other man-made or natural obstacles;
3. To a fixed-point;
4. That is under four (4) months of age;
5. That is sick or injured; or
6. For more than four (4) hours, in any twenty-four-hour period.
If you suspect a violation of this new law, please call the Police Department - Animal Control Unit at (434) 799-5111.