Virginians now can be “mobile ready” for disasters with a new app from Ready Virginia. The app gives those who use smart phones and tablets a convenient way to prepare for disasters and to stay informed during emergencies with the latest information.
The Ready Virginia app for iPhone® and Android™ mobile devices provides emergency planning and preparedness guidance along with these important features:
• Location- specific weather watches and warnings as well as flood information issued by the National Weather Service
• Disaster news from the Virginia Department of Emergency Management
• A customizable family emergency plan that can be easily shared
• Maps of open American Red Cross shelters, hurricane evacuation routes, hurricane storm surge zones and stream gauges
• A checklist for gathering emergency supplies
• Contact information for local emergency managers
• Links to register for local emergency alerts
The Ready Virginia app is available for download on the App StoreSM and on Google Play™. The app was developed by the Virginia Department of Emergency Management in response to the rapid increase in use of mobile phones and tablets by residents seeking information during last year’s severe derecho wind storm and Hurricane Sandy.
In addition to the app, VDEM launched a mobile version of its website at m.vaemergency.gov. The mobile site contains all the information available on VDEM’s regular website with an easier navigation for smart phones and tablets.
For those who don’t use mobile devices, information about preparing for emergencies is available in multiple languages at www.ReadyVirginia.gov; by sending an email to email@example.com; by calling toll free (866) 782-3470; and by writing to VDEM Public Affairs, 10501 Trade Court, Richmond, VA 23236.