Good News Jail and Prison Ministry
The purpose of the Good News Jail and Prison Ministry is to meet the spiritual needs of both inmates and staff through ministry that includes evangelism, discipleship, and pastoral attention, while facilitating other religious faiths within the guidelines established by law and the individual correctional facility. For more information, contact Senior Chaplain David Abernathy at 434-799-5130.
Good News Chaplains, along with over 100 volunteers from various denominations and civic groups, serve the Danville City Jail, Danville Adult Detention, W.W. Moore Juvenile Detention, Chatham Men's Diversion Center, and the Pittsylvania County Jail.
Services provided include:
- Worship services and Bible studies in each facility
- A Bible correspondence course
- Individual pastoral counseling
- Cell block visitation
- Ministry to inmate families and follow-up for those who are released and request such ministry, usually assisting in re-entering our community
- Reliable information concerning the religious faith of inmates which may be unfamiliar to correctional officials and help facilitate the practice of an inmate's religious faith, within the required security considerations
- Liaison with the community to help clergy of any faith best meet the religious requirements of the incarcerated of that faith