To be eligible to work at the polls, you must reside and be registered to vote in Virginia, not hold an elective office, and not be the deputy or employee of an elected official.
- Arrive at the polling place at 5 a.m. and remain until the polls are closed and the results are ascertained, usually around 8:30 p.m..
- Set up voting machines and signs in preparation for voting.
- Process voters by using electronic poll books to check in voters.
- Operate voting machines and assist voters.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Chief Officer of the precinct.
Officers of Election work at the polls on election day to ensure elections are run in a well-organized manner. The City of Danville Electoral Board uses over 100 poll workers at its 16 voting precincts.
If you are interested in working at the polls on Election Day, please come by the Voter Registration Office at 530 Main Street, 1st Floor, Suite 100 (First Citizen Bank building) in downtown Danville, call 434-799-6560 or submit a request for additional information.