The City of Danville requires that certain permits be obtained before specific work commences on public or private property. These permits apply to commercial and residential work. For more information on Public Works Engineering Permits, contact Mike Huggins at 434-799-5019 ext. 2538. View the Engineering Permits Summary. General permit applications may be submitted by email.

For all Engineering Permit fees, see the Engineering Permit Fee Schedule.

Before you dig, you must call Miss Utility. In Virginia, dial 811 or 800-552-7001.

Land Disturbance Permit

This permit is required for land disturbance areas of 5,000 square feet or greater.

Virginia Stormwater Management Program (VSMP) General Permit for Construction Activities

This permit is for land disturbances one acre or greater, or part of a common plan, as defined by the Department of Environmental Quality.

Virginia Runoff Reduction Method

Starting July 1, 2014, the VSMP regulations require new technical criteria for development of stormwater management plans. That criterion includes the use of The Virginia Runoff Reduction Method (VRRM). Below you will find the VRRM spreadsheets for new development and redevelopment as well as instructions on how to use the spreadsheets.

Curb Cut Permit

This permit is required if a curb needs to be cut or if an existing entrance needs to be modified.

Storm Drainage Permit

This permit is required if any work pertaining to drainage is to be done including installation or modification of existing conveyance channels, pipes, driveway pipes, manholes, inlets, etc.

Excavation Permit

This permit is required if work is proposed to be done within the City’s right-of-way.


This application is for an adjacent property owner requesting the abandonment of unimproved, unopened and unused right of way that was dedicated to the City.  City Council will consider transfer of the right of way at no cost to the applicant.  However, the applicant is responsible for paying the actual cost incurred by the City for the public hearing advertisements in addition to a fee for processing the application and a recording fee for the ordinance.  All costs and fees are due upon approval by City Council.  This application must be filled out and submitted to the City Engineer. 


This application is for requesting closure of a city right of way or street for construction work or special events.  There is no fee associated with this request.  This application must be filled out and submitted to the Public Works Engineering Office.