Hire an Off Duty Police Officer
In order to efficiently respond to requests and manage the employment of off-duty police officers, The Danville, VA Police Department has partnered with Off Duty Management to provide services related to hiring off-duty officers effective January 18th, 2021.
You may request to hire off-duty police officers through the Off Duty Management web-based service, OfficerTRAK®, or calling the toll-free number below.
Off Duty Management provides the following to the customer:
- Online access to information through the OfficerTRAK® software including:
- Officer attendance
- Field notes and media files
- Post orders and instructions
- Past and future shift information
- Full liability coverage for the customer, the agency, and the officer
- 24/7 customer service through their toll-free number
- Dedicated point of contact for scheduling, invoicing and payroll.
Prohibited Off-Duty Employment
The Department reserves the right to deny any request for off-duty employment that involves:
- The use of department time, facilities, equipment or supplies.
- When the Off-duty employment creates an actual or apparent conflict of interest with the Department or City.
- The use of the City of Danville Police Department badge, uniform or influence for private gain or advantage.
- The member’s receipt or acceptance of any money or other consideration for the performance of duties or services that he/she would be required or expected to render in the course or hours of his/her employment, appointment or as a part of his/her regular duties.
- The performance of duties or services that may later be subject directly or indirectly to the control, inspection, review, audit or enforcement of any other member of this department.
- Demands upon the member’s time that would render the performance of his/her duties for this department deficient or substandard.
- Activities that may conflict with any other policy or rule of the Department (Va. Code § 15.2-1712).
- Activities which may occasionally require the use of the member's police powers in the performance of such employment that are not authorized by local ordinance (Va. Code § 15.2- 1712).
*PLEASE NOTE: the above list is not an all-inclusive and questions regarding permitted activity should be forwarded to Off Duty Management.
- 3 Hours minimum per request.
- 48 Hours prior to shift start is required for requests.
* Supervisor rate is dependent on the scope and size of the assignment per Danville, VA PD’s guidelines and approval.
** Holiday Rates apply 12:00 am -11:59 pm on New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
***Emergency rates apply when a request is received less than 48 hours prior to the start of the shift.
Once an assignment has been approved and scheduled; vendors canceling or reducing assignments are required to pay the full ODM administrative fees for the first 24 hours of the original assignment. Vendors canceling or reducing assignments within 48 hours of the start of the assignment are required to pay the greater of officer hours worked or the agency minimum hours plus ODM administrative fees for the first 24 hours of the original assignment. (Admin fees depend on the coverage and can range from $6.80 - $8.50 per hour.)